Occupational Driving License Attorney

Some common license suspension questions are the following.  Please call The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder, PLLC, at 214.702.CARL (2275) if you are currently serving a license suspension and the need the services of an attorney to help you obtain an occupational driving license to drive for "essential needs."

How can I drive to work, school and the store if I’ve had my license suspended or revoked?

The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder, PLLC, can help you obtain an occupational driver's license so that you are able to drive for your "essential needs" even after your license has been suspended. This type of license is a restricted license which will allow you to drive a non-commercial vehicle for work, school, to obtain medical care, or in the performance of "essential needs." An occupational driving license has some restrictions, such as limiting the time per day that you are allowed to drive to 12 hours. To request this license, Carl will petition the proper court either in the county where you live or where the offense causing suspension allegedly occurred.

If I have a court order granting an occupational license, am I allowed to drive?

Not exactly - this court order is not your actual license.  You can legally drive for 30 days using the court order of the occupational license as authorization if you are stopped by a police officer.  However, you must obtain the actual occupational license before the expiration of 30 days in order to drive legall. The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) issues occupational licenses after a court order and other required items have been received. The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder, PLLC can help ensure that this process goes smoothly.

If I have an occupational license, can I drive a commercial vehicle?

No, Texas law prohibits operating commercial motor vehicles under an occupational license.

What has to be submitted to DPS?

  • A certified copy of the petition (unless you are participating in a special drug court program, in which case the judge will grant the occupational order without a petition);
  • A certified copy of the court order granting the occupational license;
  • An original SR-22 certificate of insurance;
  • An occupational license fee (for a one-year license or less);
  • Possible reinstatement fees (if required).

Do I have to have ignition interlock on my car?

If you are informed that you must obtain ignition interlock on your vehicle in order to drive, you must schedule to place this device on whatever car you drive. Ignition interlock is usually required as a condition of your bond if you have been arrested for a DWI within the last 10 years.   Once the ignition interlock is installed, you must blow a breath sample into an alcohol analyzer each time you start your car. If alcohol is detected in your breath, your car will not start.

Contact Now

If you are looking for an attorney to help you obtain an occupational driving license, please call The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder, PLLC, at 214.702.CARL (2275). The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder, PLLC, is a full-service criminal defense law firm devoted to protecting your rights.

What will I need to get started?

Once your license is suspended you may be eligible to apply for an occupational license.  If this is a subsequent arrest for DWI, a waiting period (or "hard" suspension) may be required. To read about license suspension periods, please click here. In order to file a petition on your behalf for an occupational driver’s license, you will need a certified copy of your driving record, a copy of proof SR-22 insurance (our office can suggest companies that can offer this piece of insurance at an affordable rate), a signed verification form accompanying the petition, a letter from your employer (on their letterhead) which states your title and hours you need to drive (if your employer knows about your need for an ODL); OR a letter from you which states the reasons you need an ODL, and your driving schedule, as well as the counties you drive in, your employer's address, and your job occupation, the appropriate filing fees (all fees are subject to change and are independent from any legal fees rendered), a DPS reinstatement fee and and ODL filing fee. These fees payable to DPS are separate from any legal fees paid.



Carl David Ceder is an experienced Dallas Occupational Driving License Attorney who practices all over the Dallas Metroplex, including all of Dallas County, Collin County, Rockwall County, Denton County, Tarrant County, Kaufman County, and all adjoining counties:

  • Dallas Suspended License Attorney - Dallas, University Park, University Park, Grapevine, Garland, DeSoto, Irving, Carrollton, Addison, Duncanville, Richardson, Cedar Hill, Cockrell Hill, Coppell, Grand Prairie, Lancaster, Lewisville, Mesquite, Seagoville, Wilmer, Wylie
  • Tarrant County Suspended License Attorney - Fort Worth, Southlake, Keller, Arlington, Bedford, Burleson, Colleyville, Crowley, Euless, Everman, Grapevine, Flower Mound, Grand Prairie, Hurst, Lakeside, Mansfield, North Richland Hills, Westlake, Saginaw, River Oaks
  • Collin County Suspended License Attorney - McKinney, Plano, Garland, Allen, Dallas, Carrollton, Richardson, Fairview, St. Paul, Weston, Lucas, Melissa, Nevada, Westminster, Frisco, Celina, Murphy, New Hope, Prosper, Wylie
  • Rockwall County Suspended License Attorney- Rockwall, Dallas, Fate, Heath, Mobile City, McLendon-Chisholm, Rowlett, Royse City, Wylie, Munson, Blackland
  • Denton County Suspended License Attorney - Dallas, Denton, Flower Mound, Fort Worth, Southlake, Hebron, Argyle, Justin, Lake Dallas, Plano, Bartonville, Coppell, Northlake, Carollton, Corinth, Hebron, Highland Village, Justin, Lakewood Village, Lewisville, Northlake, Prosper, The Colony, Westlake